By Rachel Kenney | Zipline Parenting |
Walking through the fire of life is inevitable, we all get a little singed and our edges a little soft, sore and raw. Heartbroken we pick ourselves up, dust off and continue on our journey. Life is hard, it hurts and we expect some bumps in the road. What happens when kids are pushed pulled and shoved being forced through the fire of life?
For kids in the foster care system this is a reality. Being removed from a home is heartbreaking, but the sad reality is a lot of damage occurs before the step is taken. The physical, mental and/or emotional abuse endured by kids in this situation is immense leaving life time scars. Once a child is in the system he/she lose both choice and voice. A judge decides where they will live, who they and they are forced into families and homes where rules and norms have been established well before they arrive. Often times they have none of their personal belongings, enroll in a new school and are completely isolated from any friends or family.
Trying to bring dignity and joy back into the lives of children in the foster care system is Rick Rack Ministries. With a tag line of “clothed-in-love”, this organization works to give teens going through the fire of life a positive experience. Rick Rack, a boutique with stylish, trendy and name brand clothes gives foster teens the opportunity to have a personal stylist and a shopping experience to remember, demonstrating to them through the tangible gift of clothing that they are valuable.
We all know that what is on the outside isn’t what counts in life, but I truly believe the outside is a reflection of what we feel about ourselves on the inside. Personal style, health, and care are all attributes of a healthy self-esteem and on the outside mirror how one feels on the inside. When treated with respect, love, and genuine care kids in the system rise in beauty from the ashes, matching their outside with what is on the inside, a child of God created in his image.
How can you get involved?
- Sponsor a foster child for $40.00 a month, which provides 6 items of clothing and monthly shopping experience with a personal stylist, prayer and words of encouragement, personal time with a stylist to talk about struggles or problems, and life skill activity.
100 Pine St. Suite 177
Zeeland, MI 49464
· Get glammed up and purchase a ticket or table for the Rick Rack “Clothed-in-Love” ~ Extravaganza Fashion Show and Benefit Auction on November 16th.
· Cash donations of any amount are always appreciated as well.
· Volunteer as little as 2 hours or 4 hours or more as a stylist, inventory assistant, mentoring coordinator, office manager, or helping with events.
· Join the board of directors providing your talents and skills to launch Rick Rack into 2014. This is a great resume builder and investment into the community. Can you see yourself here? Contact Rick Rack at email@example.com with questions.